The mission of Aerospace Education is to educate, inspire, and instill an appreciation for and an understanding of aerospace as it relates to science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) in today's and tomorrow's world. Civil Air Patrol (CAP) promotes and supports aerospace/STEM education both for its own members and the general public. CAP's educational programs help prepare the youth of today to meet the challenges of a sophisticated aerospace/STEM society and understand its related global issues, especially as pertains to national security.
CAP offers national standards-driven educational products to CAP units, as well as to educator members from all types of schools, youth organizations, and museums. A list of these materials are found HERE. These materials include a plethora of K-12 books, modules, activities, and DVDs. The secondary textbook, Aerospace: The Journey of Flight, as well as the six middle-school-level Aerospace Dimensions modules, are used to by CAP cadets to progress through their standardaized achievment heirarchy. Additional resources, to include STEM Career exploration, are found HERE.
Educator member benefits include free products and programs that include the K-12 Aerospace Education Excellence (AEX) Award Program, the K-6 Aerospace Connections in Education (ACE) Program, Teacher Orientation Program (TOP) Flights in CAP airplanes at a local airport, grants for special educational projects, STEM Kits, and much more!
Educators receive these free materials from CAP by joining CAP’s Aerospace Education Membership (AEM) program. A downloadblebrochure explains the AEM program.
At Civil Air Patrol, the volunteer auxilliary of the U.S. Air Force, we're helping develop tomorrow's aerospace workforce.
Through our award-winning 'Making Aerospace Real for Students' (MARS) program, we offer all types of educators:
- Free national standards-driven K-12 aerospace/STEM education materials (for homeschoolers, too!)
- Awards, such as AEX, for schools that adopt aerospace education into their curricula
- Grants available from Air Force Association to incorporate aerospace/STEM into the classroom
- Orientation flights in powered aircraft
- Aerospace-oriented summer workshops in conjunction with the Air Force Association and other educational organizations
- Aerospace/STEM education speakers and resources nationwide
CAP's aerospace/STEM education programs are nationally recognized:
- 2013- Air Force Association's National Chairman's Aerospace Education Excellence Award
- 2013- Cyber Security Exchange (CSX) MeriTalk's Honorable Mention for Cyber Security Innovation
- 2011- National Coalition of Aviation and Space Education two top awards: Crown Circle and Mervin Strickler Aerospace Leadership Awards
- Past recipient of the Air Force Association's Vandenberg Award, the National Aeronautics Association's Brewer Trophy, and the Space Foundation's Education Achievement Award.
- Website past recipient as USA TODAY'S Best Bet for Educators
Need more information? Click HERE for a historical overview of CAP's Aerospace Education Program. Visit our Educator FAQ page. Or, click HERE to watch a 10-minute AEM video. Finally, you can contact the AE team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become an Aerospace Education Member of CAP today! As a 501(c)3 nonprofit, humanitarian corporation, CAP more than returns your $35 one-time membership dues in free programs, products and services. You can join online now as an Aerospace Education Member using our online application.