Skip to main content
Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters
Main Content

Can parents be in CAP?

Absolutely!  Some opportunities to share in the CAP experience are:

Cadet Sponsor Member --  Just like any other youth organization, CAP relies on the family to support the program.   Cadet parents, grandparents or legal guardians are eligible to join as Cadet Sponsors. 

You will need to complete a membership application, FBI FD 258 fingerprint card and pay $30 for your first year of dues.   As a Cadet Sponsor, you'll be able to help chaperone the cadets, ride or drive in the CAP vehicles, and otherwise help the other adult volunteer members.   This category of membership does not wear a military-style uniform, but there are requirements for basic education and training before you can fully interact with the other cadets. 

Senior Member -- If you are more interested in taking a leadership role in the Cadet Program or want to participate in CAP's aerospace education and emergency services missions, you should join as a Senior Member.  The best way to learn about what you can do as a Senior Member is to talk to your child's squadron leadership about joining.   You will need to submit and complete a membership application, fingerprint card and complete an orientation course. Annual membership dues vary by state.   

« Back

© 2024 Civil Air Patrol. All rights reserved.