CAP's National Aerospace Education Teacher of
the Year Award
Electronic nomination package submission deadline: January 15 of each year to the educator's state (Wing) Director of AE (see DAE contact info HERE)---or, if uncertain, send to firstname.lastname@example.org, and the package will be forwarded to the appropriate Wing DAE.
DESCRIPTION: The Civil Air Patrol Aerospace Education Teacher of the Year Award is a national-level award established to recognize and reward any Civil Air Patrol member who is a certified K-12 teacher for outstanding accomplishments in aerospace/STEM education and for possessing those honorable attributes we expect from American teachers who are inspiring the next generation of aerospace-related STEM citizenry.
QUALIFICATIONS: The nominees for this award must meet the criteria below in order to qualify for this award.
- Be a Civil Air Patrol Member- either an AE member or a Senior (uniformed) Member who is a K-12 educator. (If not a member, the quick online membership link for a one-time $35 fee for Aerospace Education Membership is found HERE.) If more information is desired about benefits of becoming an AE Member of CAP, click HERE.
- Be a certified classroom teacher from any grade(s), K-12, in any public, private, charter, or parochial school.
- Teach aerospace education as a subject or use aerospace education to enrich the teaching of traditional subjects.
- Set high standards for teaching by integrating exceptional aerospace-related STEM activities and/or programs.
- Strive to improve personal academic/professional competence and teaching ability.
- Demonstrate creativity in developing and utilizing materials to enhance the teaching of aerospace-related STEM subjects.
- Share expertise with other educators on a local, state, and/or national level.
- Maximize student involvement and classroom activities to improve student learning OR develop a one-time project or program of such significance that it has a major impact on the teaching of aerospace-related STEM education.
AWARD ELEMENTS: The recipient will receive a $1000 cash award, a commemorative plaque, and free room/ attendance to the Civil Air Patrol’s Summer National Conference for presentation at the conference awards banquet. The recipient will also be a guest at the *Dayton Teachers Air Camp during the summer following the national conference presentation. (*Date in June announced each spring.)
PROCEDURES: Download the Aerospace Educator Teacher of the Year nomination form. Complete all sections of the award instructions and submit, as noted above, by January 15. For any assistance, please contact Aerospace Education at email@example.com
CAP's National K-6 ACE Program Awards
CAP's unique K-6th grade Aerospace Connections in Education (ACE) program accepts national award nominations during April each year from ACE teachers. National ACE awards are accepted for ACE School of the Year, Teacher of the Year, and Student of the Year. Grants are provided for ACE Awards by the Air Force Association. Last year's national awards extended into several special awards and the entire list is found HERE. Award nomination forms are found HERE.