Aerospace Education Excellence Program (AEX) for Teachers
Civil Air Patrol offers a very popular program free to its members that involves conducting hands-on aviation and space-related activities with students in schools, youth organizations, community events, libraries, or museums. It is called “Aerospace Education Excellence," or, simply AEX.
Detailed steps for first-time AEX teachers:
- Make sure CAP membership is current. If you are not a member, but wish to join as an educator member, click "Join as AEM" for membership information. If your membership needs to be renewed, AE members should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (If membership is as a regular CAP uniformed member, renewal information is found from membershipservices. com. )
- Register to participate by completing the AEX registration online at CAP's eServices. Registration is required for each year (Oct. 1 - Sept. 30) you choose to participate. If you have never used eServices before, you will need to set up a free eServices account. Click "first time users click here" when you get to the eServices login page, and follow the instructions provided.
- Once you are in eServices, look at the left Menu bar and click on Aerospace Education. Then, go to AEX and then click "Apply for AEX."
- Teach 6 aerospace/STEM-related activities. You may select activities from the AEX books provided by CAP, or you may use your own lessons. In addition to teaching 6 aerospace/STEM-related activities, engage students in a special 2-hour aerospace/STEM activity, such as making and launching rockets, going on an aerospace-related field trip to the airport or an aerospace museum, or presenting other aerospace-oriented activities that total 2 hours or more. (You may teach an additional two lessons to meet the 2-hour activity requirement, if that works for you.)
- When you are ready to enter your AEX activities, go back eServices/Aerospace Education/AEX and click "AEX Award Report." You may enter the AEX activities as each one is finished (and they will be saved), or, you may wait until all activities are completed. This must be completed no later than Sept. 30 for the past year. You should submit your completion report at least 3 weeks prior to the date you plan on distributing student certificates!
- You should receive your AEX certificates within 3 weeks of submitting your award report. In the event you do not receive your awards within 3 weeks of submitting your report, please send an email to email@example.com.
*** In the event that you do not fully complete the requirements for successful completion of the AEX Program, no notification is necessary. Simply register again during the next school year, and try again!
E-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.