STEM Kit Program Process
The CAP STEM Kit program is designed for CAP's Internal and External AE programs.
* Internally, the unit AEO (or commander) is authorized to apply for a STEM Kit to enhance the AE portion of the cadet program.
* Externally, educator members are authorized to apply for a STEM Kit to help perpetuate interest in STEM subjects and careers.
NOTE: This is an application process.
STEM Kit Guidelines:
- CAP AEOs and educator members may submit online applications for one CAP STEM Kit at a time via eServices, CAP's member portal.
- Applications will be carefully and thoroughly reviewed prior to notification of application approval status.
- Participant ages must meet guidelines for each kit. (Age guidelines are listed in each STEM Kit description.)
- Collaborations are strongly encouraged in the application. Collaborative examples include:
- Educators connecting upper and lower grade levels in schools for implementation and mentoring.
- CAP cadet squadrons connecting with community youth groups and/or schools.
- CAP unit AEOs working together on a specific STEM Kit at a Group or Wing event.
- CAP AEOs and/or educators connecting at a community event for educational outreach demonstration or program.
- CAP AEOs or educators partnering with an aviation and/or space museum to conduct demonstrations.
- CAP AEOs or educators connecting with the organization associated with each kit, as noted in the STEM Kit descriptions.
To apply for a STEM Kit, applicants must be one of the following:
- CAP AEO
- CAP Assistant AEO
- Squadron Commander
- Wing DAE
- Wing Commander
- CAP Educator Member (If not a member, but are a formal or informal educator, find out membership details HERE.)
- To apply for a STEM Kit, log into CAP's member portal, eServices. When in eServices, from the Menu, go to the Aerospace Education section; then, submit your application in the CAP STEM Kit section. Please note: Our vendors will not ship orders to a P.O. Box address, and applications with a P.O. Box address will not be considered.
- When a STEM Kit application is correctly submitted, an automatic confirmation email will be received from CAP. If this email is not received, the online application was not processed, and the online application will need to be resubmitted. .
- Applications from CAP units are first submitted for approval to the Wing Commander before being forwarded to CAP National Headquarters. Educator member applications go directly to National Headquarters for review by the CAP STEM Kit committee.
- The CAP STEM Kit committee will meet at the beginning of each month to review applications from the previous month.
- After the STEM Kit committee meeting, STEM Kit applicants will be notified by email whether or not their application was accepted. ***
- Approved applicants can expect to receive one or two STEM Kits per approved application. (More information is available on each STEM Kit description page.)
***b. If the application is not approved, the notification email will include information as to the non-approved reasoning, with suggestions for future applications.
To begin the implementation of the STEM Kit, proceed to the online Learning Management System (LMS) now available in CAP's member portal, eServices. (eServices>Menu>Online Learning>Learning Management System>AXIS) Click on "Go to AXIS" and find the STEM Kits; then, select the appropriate STEM Kit "core area," (aviation, space or cyber). (Core areas are noted on the STEM Kit selection page found HERE.) All items associated with each STEM Kit can be found in this LMS. This includes tip sheets, certificate links, pre/post tests, safety links, curriculum links, evaluation link, and/or links to related professional associations.
a. All non-approved applications each month will be removed from eServices so the non-approved applicants can make another STEM Kit application another time.
b. If your application is approved, administer the STEM Kit Pre-test to all participants. The Pre-test is in LMS. (NOTE: Pre-test data will be required when completing the evaluation report for each STEM Kit.)
- Use the kit; integrate any LMS lessons/activities; and create unique and innovative ways to use the kit with the cadets or students.
- Take good photographs of youth using the STEM Kits to be included in the STEM Kit online evaluation form. (Reminder: Any youth in photos should have media release permissions for the photo to be sent.)
- After completing at least six hours of STEM Kit instruction and implementation, administer the STEM Kit Post-test to all participants. The Post-Test is in LMS . Post-Test data will be required when completing the evaluation report for each STEM Kit.
- Log into eServices, and select Submit Evaluation at the top of CAP STEM Kit page.
- Select the STEM Kit that you wish to evaluate, complete the online evaluation, and press Submit.
- After the STEM Kit evaluation is submitted, a confirmation email will be received from CAP. If this e-mail is not received, the online evaluation was not processed, and this evaluation will need to be resubmitted.
- To upload any photos or videos of youth involved in the STEM Kit program (only include photos of youth with permission to have photos used by CAP for STEM program promotion) select the Upload STEM Kit Photos at the top of the CAP STEM Kit page in eServices. Submission of photos assures CAP that there is permission to use such photos in any STEM program promotions.