STEM Kit Program Process
The CAP STEM Kit program is designed for CAP's Internal and External AE programs. Internally, the unit AEO (or commander) is authorized to apply for a STEM Kit for any program that will benefit the cadets. Externally, educator members are authorized to apply for a STEM Kit that will perpetuate interest in STEM careers. Collaboration between CAP's internal and external AE programs is strongly encouraged! (See collaborative ideas, below.)
- CAP AEOs and educator members can submit online applications for one CAP STEM Kit at a time via eServices. (Go to eServices and follow directions if you are a first-time user.) When in eServices, go to Aerospace Education and find the CAP STEM Kit link to submit an application. Applicants will receive a confirmation e-mail that the application was submitted/received and is awaiting approval, which usually occurs within one month.
Applications with a thorough, quality, and definitive project plan will have first priority. Applications with collaborative initiatives will also receive higher consideration.
CAP unit AEOs and CAP educator members are encouraged to partner with other units, classrooms, or organizations to bring maximum exposure of the STEM Kit educational value. Collaborative examples include:
- Educators connecting upper and lower grade levels in schools for implementation and mentoring.
- CAP cadet squadrons connecting with community youth groups and/or schools.
- CAP unit AEOs working together on a specific STEM Kit at a group or Wing CAP event.
- CAP AEOs and/or educators connecting at a community event for educational outreach demonstration or program.
- CAP AEOs or educators partnering with an aviation and/or space museum to conduct demonstrations.
- CAP AEOs or educators connecting with the organization associated with each kit, as noted in confirmation e-mails sent to recipients.
- Applications from CAP units are first submitted for approval to the unit's Wing Commander before being forwarded to CAP National Headquarters. AEM applications go directly to National Headquarters for approval by the CAP STEM Kit selection committee.
- The CAP STEM Kit committee will meet at the beginning of each month to review applications from the previous month.
- After the STEM Kit committee meeting, STEM Kit applicants will be sent an email to notify them whether or not their application was accepted. If accepted, the e-mail will also include the estimated STEM Kit shipping date from the vendor.
- The CAP STEM Kit team will send recipients associated STEM Kit instructional materials.
- An online Learning Community is now available where all items associated with each STEM Kit can be found. This includes the welcome letter, curriculum, tip sheets, certificate links, pre/post tests, evaluation link and/or links to related professional associations. Click here for the Learning Communities that are found in eServices.
- In a STEM Kit selection notification e-mail, CAP's STEM Kit team will remind recipients that the STEM Kit online Evaluation Form should be submitted upon completion of the planned STEM Kit program.
- Good photographs of youth using the STEM Kits are encouraged to be included in the STEM Kit online evaluation form. (Reminders that any youth in photos should have media release permissions for the photo to be sent.)
- After submitting the online Evaluation Form, another STEM Kit can be requested via the application process.
For more information, contact email@example.com.