Skip to main content
Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters
Main Content

Independent Study

Cadets who will be living overseas and wish to remain active in CAP may join an overseas squadron (located in UK, Germany, Japan and South Korea). If an overseas unit is not available at the cadet’s location, National Headquarters may allow the cadet to progress through independent study. 

National Headquarters evaluates applications on a case-by-case basis, and will work with cadets and unit commanders to tailor the independent study to match each cadet’s unique situation. However, independent study is intended to be a temporary accommodation, usually no more than 2 years in duration.  Except for a few modifications needed for practical reasons, independent study cadets must meet the usual promotion requirements. Please see the guide for more information.


© 2024 Civil Air Patrol. All rights reserved.